Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

    School's History

    In the mid 1930's Wiltshire County Council bought seven acres of land for just ¬£750 from the brewers J Arkell & Sons, and local builders Leighfield & Sons were appointed to build the school.  On Wednesday 27th of January, 1937, the school was officially opened by the Marquis of Bath.

    U20Stratton20School.jpg 

     Since then, Kingsdown School has grown from a five classroom building to a school with over 60 rooms.

    During the new millennium the school used funding to create an entirely new learning environment for students, as well as to cater for those with special learning needs. The Virtual Learning Centre comprises of four computer suites and is found on the first floor; on the ground floor is a suite that caters for students with Autistic Spectrum Condition.

    In 2011 Kingsdown School took ownership of the old Premier Club (formerly the Raychem Sports Centre). After an extensive refurbishment, students are benefiting from the new state of the art facilities in the Kingsdown Sports Centre. In 2013, construction of a state of the art, all-weather 3G pitch was completed on the field behind the school. This is used during school time for PE lessons and clubs, as well as being let out to sport clubs within the community.

    CIMG1080.jpg20130829-084647.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    There has also been another transformation, in an unused courtyard area that has been transformed into a covered serving and eating area, and a new canopy has been put in place to shelter students between the main hall and the library.

    In the future, where it is not possible to expand we will continue to improve our facilities by replacing the old for the new. In this way, we will be able to continue to offer the best possible education we can for the students of Stratton St Margaret.

     construction section 1.jpg